Having a portrait painting commissioned is fun and exciting. The process shouldn't be stressful! If you'd like me to take photos for you, I offer a convenient photoshoot option for Standard Portrait Commissions. If you'd like to use your own photos, here are some helpful tips to make choosing a reference photo easier.
How to choose a Reference Photo for a Portrait Commission.
1. It is best to choose a photo where the subject looks most natural.
2. Look for a photo where the camera caught the subject unawares. A natural expression when the subject looks most like themselves is best.
3. Do not choose a photo where the subject is smiling "cheese!" for the camera.
4. Consider a photo where the subject is not facing the camera straight on.
5. An angled face, an interesting expression, and good lighting are great.
6. You do not need a perfectly framed head shot. I will crop your photo and change the composition.
7. Most importantly, be sure the subject is clear and in focus. Zoom in on the face to be sure that it is not pixelated or blurry.
Let me know if you have any questions about how to choose a reference photo! I'm happy to help. Contact me here.
If you're curious, yes I still have MinneBites! But I'm slowly moving away from that product line, which I did almost exclusively for about 8 years. Although I may decide to continue making and selling MinneBites in the future, for now I've decided to concentrate on fine art, both painting and textiles. In fact, I'm getting ready for something new on that end right now - selling at outdoor festivals!
You can find MinneBites: handmade bags with bite in my Etsy shop,
I still have quite a bit in stock, but you may want to shop now for the best selection.
Step three - and very importantly! - I've got to purchase a tent. It'll happen soon. I'm doing research.
Edina Fall Into the Arts
And so! This September, I'll be at the Edina Fall Into the Arts Festival. This will be my first ever outdoor art fair! I'll have a tent full of my new work in pastels, both originals and prints, along with a nice selection of my textile art work. I'm very excited. I'm hoping for nice weather and a great crowd!
Examples of the work I'll have at the festival
I hope to see you at the Edina Fall into the Arts Festival this September!
Find more of my upcoming events here.
I find that I'm drawn more and more to painting people. I've been inspired by a number of photographs taken by friends and family and have used their photos, with permission, to create artworks. However, I believe it's time for me find willing subjects (my own kids really don't like getting their photos taken!) so I can have a variety of my own photo references to work from.
I'm looking for models!
Being a model is fun and easy. Here are some things to know.
If you, your kids, or someone you know is interested in being subjects for my art, please contact me via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
I am an artist and designer based in Minneapolis, Minnesota. My specialties are textiles and pastels.